I was nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award by Megha at DelightfullDiscoveries where she blogs about food, books and a little bit of everything else that’s important to her. She also blogs about developing apps for Android platforms on a second blog and is in the process of developing an app. That’s one of her goals for 2018. She’s terribly creative and bubbly and very supportive.
Her questions for me were:
- Since when are you blogging?
I’ve been blogging for about four years. I started on Blogger with fashion since I was playing around on Polyvore. Then I expanded into Home Dec, Art and eventually book reviews. I’ve been doing just book review on my blog since July of 2016. I recently moved to WordPress. I find the community much more welcoming.
2. What inspired you to start blogging?
I was playing around on Polyvore and connected my account to Tumblr. From there I started the blog on Blogger since I wanted to expand what I could do on the blog. It was a natural progression since an awful lot of the players on Polyvore end up blogging. Most monetize their blogs, which I did not. I was simply providing fashion ideas and advice for women over 60.
3. You have a beautiful blog name. Why did you choose this name?
For seventeen years I had a cat name Violet. She was also called Buggy because she ate bugs. But she was a Russian Blue. So I called my blog Blue Cat Review. The name has worked for fashion, home dec, art, and now books. So, I’ve kept it. Unfortunately, Buggy died of cancer in March of 2017 after being my constant companion for 17 years. I now have a black cat with a very lively personality named Emma Louise. I have been considering changing the name of my blog lately, maybe to something related to how revealing my review style is.
4. What is the ONE thing you don’t like about blogging?
I don’t think there’s really anything I don’t like about it. When I get tired of trying to keep up with it, I post a message and take a vacation. I don’t monetize my blog, so I don’t have to worry about any of that sort of thing. I deal with authors and publishing houses and reps. All nice people. If they aren’t nice people, I don’t deal with them. I get to sit and read, make notes and then write a review. What’s not to like?
5. What is your favorite book?
I used to say The Charm School by Susan Wiggs. It’s such a sweet story. But then I read The Emperor’s Soul by Brandon Sanderson and I had to change my mind. That is just a short story to him, but it’s a wonderful story that I originally read in paperback, then read in ebook several times, and then my daughter purchased a signed hardcover edition for me. I treasure that book. The General and the young forger/magician working together to save the realm by creating a new soul for the dead emperor is wonderful. Something you must read whether you are a fantasy reader or not.
6. If you could travel to a country anywhere in the world, where would you go?
France, starting with Paris, then to the south of France. I might stay there, too!
7. Which movie can you watch again and again and why?
Practical Magic, because I love all four of the female lead actresses and the male lead is great, too. The bad guy is really bad. And the little girls are pretty good as little girls. I just love the story.
8. After a tiring day, would you prefer to cook a meal or order one?
I don’t cook anymore, my husband does all the cooking. But if I had to choose if I were the one to cook, it would definitely be order one. Not fast food.
9. What’s your favorite breakfast?
Buttered whole wheat toast with poached eggs, bacon crispy, and hash browns crispy (the thin ones). A small glass of orange juice and herbal tea, preferably rosehip.
10. What’s your goal for 2018
To get my genealogy organized and catch-up on the cemetery photos for FAG.
11. Which TV series are you watching currently?
The Crown season two
- Suzy @suzyapproved
- Kelly @klkrebill
- Christian @mihaicristiandaniel
- Chelsea @thesuspenseisthrillingme
- Chaz @lifeofchaz
- Mischenko @readrantrockandroll
- Eleanor @realtastypages
- Aicha @theygotitcovered
- Kate @theloudlibrarylady
- Sarah @thecritiquingchemist
My questions for you are:
- How do you choose a book (cover art, synopsis, reviews, other)
- Where do you look for inspiration?
- What advice would you give a new blogger?
- Are you a book person, digital person, audio person, or combo person and why?
- What book are you currently recommending to friends and why?
- If you could visit any city in the world for one week, which one would it be and what 5 things would you want to see?
- What is your favorite color and how does it make you feel?
- Do you monetize your blog? If yes, how? If no, why?
- Are you a computer geek for whom setting up your blog was a breeze? Or, are you computer challenged and still looking for the directions?
- What’s your favorite genre to read and what’s so special about it?
- If your life were a book, what would the title be and what genre(s)?
These are the Rules for the Sunshine Blogger Award:
1. Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you for the blog post and link back to their blog.
2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
3. Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
4. List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
I’m looking forward to seeing your answers. Thank you all for entertaining and inspiring me!
Judi at Blue Cat Review